IMM 5476 Tips & FAQs | Filling A Use of Representative Form

We’ve briefly detailed the process of filling out the IMM 5476 form, the requirements, and important FAQs you’ll benefit from knowing.

This form applies to all Canadian immigration applications, including but not limited to Temporary Resident Visas, Study Permits, Work Permits, Permanent Residence applications, and even citizenship applications. 

This form is NOT needed if you are not using a representative. To better understand who is a representative, read on.

Use of a Representative Form (IMM 5476)

An IMM 5476 is a document you can download as a PDF form and submit when you appoint a representative to help you in your immigration journey. Whether you’re applying for the first time, or need to update your representative, the IMM 5476 form will be needed and easily found through the IRCC website – and is simple with a bit of guidance.

Using a paid representative makes a candidate’s life easy by conducting all the essential tasks that are involved with immigration. 

This could include advice on immigration programs, completing and submitting your forms and applications, and even discussing details with the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) on your behalf. 

A friend or family member who acts as an unpaid representative could also help, if the applicant does not have the time. Other common reasons to ask a friend or family to act as a representative is if they have been through the Canadian immigration process before and are knowledgeable about the process, having gone through it themselves.

Paid Representatives Vs Unpaid Representatives

There are 2 types of representatives: Uncompensated Representatives and Compensated Representatives. Each type will require different steps in your application process.

Compensated/Paid Representatives

Compensated representatives receive payment or some form of compensation for the representation and services they provide on your behalf.

It’s important to be aware that anyone who represents you and provides advice and services for payment must be an authorized representative or have specific agreements/arrangements with the Government of Canada – without these authorizations, it is considered to be breaking the law. And this applies to advice and consultation before and/or after your application is made or a proceeding begins.

According to the IRCC, “IRCC will only conduct business with compensated representatives who are in good standing with their designated regulatory body. 

Authorized representatives are: 

  • Consultants who are members in good standing with the CICC
  • Lawyers and paralegals who are members in good standing of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society and students-at-law under their supervision;
  • Notaries who are members in good standing of the Chambre des notaires du Québec and students-at-law under their supervision.”

Uncompensated/Unpaid Representatives

Uncompensated representatives don’t receive any form of payment/consideration/compensation for the work, advice, and service they do on your behalf when working with the IRCC during your immigration process.

These representatives are often friends, family members, or other individuals such as consultants or lawyers – and do not receive payment to be your representative. IRCC will conduct business with an uncompensated representative if an applicant appoints them on their behalf.

(IMM 5476) Instruction Guide For Filling Out A Use of a Representative Form

According to the IRCC instruction guide for IMM 5476, there are 4 sections of the form you’ll need to fill out. Each section will focus on different details and data about your agent and the nature of their representation. If you have a child or dependant 18 years or older, they’ll need to complete their own copy of this form if they wish to be represented by the same agent.

Section A – Will focus on your details, such as full name, date of birth, and If you have already submitted an application.

Section B – Will focus on your representative’s details, such as full name and if they are compensated.

Section C – Will focus on cancelling a representative if you need to change or terminate an agent.

Section D – Will focus on your declaration that confirms all the information you provided is valid, correct, and truthful.

Important FAQs

How can I change my representative?

You can submit a new IMM 5476 form, which will override any previous representative and is covered under Section C of the form. 

You can also use the IRCC Webform online service.

How can I cancel my representative?

You can submit your request on the IRCC Webform – or by submitting a new IMM 5476 form

Can I sign digitally?

Yes, you can sign on your smartphone, and use the signature across forms. Here are some videos that can help you create a digital signature.

You could move the digital signature to your computer and complete the PDF there, or do the whole process on your phone. 

How to use an iPhone to create a digital signature

How to add a digital signature using an Android

Do I need to print, sign, scan, and then upload this form?

While you can go through the physical process of signing documents, creating a digital signature online is a far better option.

I am sponsoring my spouse/parents – can I represent them?

Yes. You can add yourself as an uncompensated representative when completing your IMM 5476 form.

Choose Canada Magazine

Each member of our team at Choose Canada Magazine has been in Canada for over five years, and has helped dozens of people worldwide find their life in Canada.

Related Posts

Sign up today!

There are some tips, guides and job opportunities that we only share with our newsletter community.

Please wait...

Thank you for signing up!